Sunday, May 13, 2012

Disney/Pixar Characters on It's A Small World

How do you guys feel about changing classic Disney rides? I am split on the issue. I think it's important to keep the rides and parks relevant for new audiences, and I understand that they can't simply keep adding new rides; besides prohibitive operating costs, there's the issue of space as well. I also look forward to looking out for little changes; it's one of the many things that keeps repeat visits feeling new and fresh. That being said, I wish they could keep certain rides the same forever! I don't mind the addition of Jack Sparrow to Pirates of the Caribbean, but I think I'd have been just as happy if they kept the ride the same, and don't even get me started on the People Movers and Carousel of Progress; if they brought those back to Disneyland, I'd be over the moon, and those are two of my favorite things to do at Disney World's Magic Kingdom. 

One of the new-to-me changes on my last trip to Disneyland (which was nearly two years ago!) was the addition of Disney and Pixar characters to It's A Small World. As one of Disney's most iconic rides, I'd come to think that It's A Small World was untouchable. However, I have to admit, it's never been one of my favorite rides, and I mostly get on the boat once each visit out of a sense of obligation. Therefore, I was delighted to realize that they'd incorporated some beloved Disney characters into the ride as figurines. I think it was done really well, and meshes nicely with the original ride's theme and style. Have you had a chance to see them  yet? Here are pictures of some of the figures I was able to take; I may have missed some, let me know of any other spottings in the comments! 


The Three Cabelleros! 

Ariel!

Lilo & Stitch!

Woody & Jessie! 
It's a cute idea, and looking out for the Disney characters adds a new element of interest for me. As of my last trip to Disney World (a year ago), it seems like that ride has been left untouched. I wonder if they will add these figurines into that version as well? Anyone know if any of the other parks have done this?

I hope Disney parks never stop evolving, as long as they remember to keep enough of the original elements intact that it doesn't start feeling like a different park. One of the best things about Disney parks are their connection to the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment